Home »Forum»Open mic at the Blue Iguana »When you lose your mojo

When you lose your mojo

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
I expect that most, if not all of us, go through times when we're just not motivated to play or not feeling creative. So I'm just curious if you let it come back on its own, however long it takes, or if at some point you try to force it back and play some even if you don't really feel like it. If you're the latter I'd like to know if there is a particular 'type' of playing that helps you get back into the feel.
Thanks,
Mojo-less Byrath
posted on #2
Administrateur
I feel your pain Byrath...

At the moment I'm struggling myself a bit because job schedules of both my wife & myself leave very little time to play, and to get creative around here... I have like 2-3 hours directly after work maybe, and it's hard to plan something which involves creativity...

That said, the bad weather here in Germany lately reminded me of a track which I have on my computer since ages, and I always struggled a bit in getting it right - but now with having much better tools, and a bit more knowledge than before, I could try again - so my plan for today is to try that track in another DAW and with other tools and plugins, and maybe I'll find some space to play to it then. If not, well, there are 200k+ tracks around here or so, and I love so many of them...

Wishing you the best my friend, and recover soon. Just try, and it will come back I'm sure.

Hope that helped a bit, and
cheers,
Wolfgang

Edit: what also sometimes helps a lot are friendly remarks & comments from people here. Often enough I scan through their tracks then, looking for some bass-less ones to see if any ideas come up... better than just giving them back a virtual hug maybe :)
Edited by wjl on Juin 08 2021 07:49
posted on #3
User Avatar Membre
byrath wrote:
I expect that most, if not all of us, go through times when we're just not motivated to play or not feeling creative. So I'm just curious if you let it come back on its own, however long it takes, or if at some point you try to force it back and play some even if you don't really feel like it. If you're the latter I'd like to know if there is a particular 'type' of playing that helps you get back into the feel.
Thanks,
Mojo-less Byrath

Your post made me think of these lines from "Void" by Mark Kozelek:

A guitar leans against the couch
Sometimes I pick it up and play
Loosen and stretch its ancient strings
Until it sounds the way I feel

To me that means music is expression and sometimes our "strings" get stiff and tired. That's ok like old guitars sometimes we need to rest. But when you're ready, just play what you feel.
Edited by mdn on Juin 08 2021 08:21
posted on #4
Administrateur
Yeah I know what you feel. I think in a way the well of creativity is not endless, I don't think anybody can continue to churn out tracks day after day for years. I got to pace myself otherwise I am running out of ideas.
One thing that did it for me is to have the guitar standing next to the sofa, and the Pignose Amp directly there so I won't have an excuse not to play ;). I spend a lot of time on a band project, that takes up a LOT of time, not necessarily playing but mixing and organising and that keeps me busy and happy.
posted on #5
Administrateur
I believe it's Neil Young who said something along these lines : "When i'm out of inspiration i get a new guitar" ... And of course the man is now owning a warehouse full of gear !! ôÔ
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
It's an interesting topic. As one of the "oldies" here it's possible that I can give a few clues that could help? With age many people don't exactly "give up" but kind of "surrender" to things being what they are. You're not going to conquer the world or do much of anything important before you die. Instead of that being dreadful/fearful, it can be a "release".

How does this relate to music? When I play I have no expectations or demand on myself to be good, better, or great. It's my meditation and my medicine. It's a letting go and having it subsume...no ego, just being in the moment and letting it flow through you.

Self expectations can be good if you need "drive", but can also set up a continual feeling of disappointment in oneself. Hopefully this message is getting through, because I don't think one needs to be old to get it.

It's possible at any level of competence in your instrument to let go and have the music flow through you. I remember this happening for me for the first time when I was 14 years old...not something I could ever forget. Too bad it took decades of ego playing to relearn this. Lots of self disappointment that was unnecessary.
You're only as old as you smell
posted on #7
User Avatar Supporter
OliVBee wrote:
I believe it's Neil Young who said something along these lines : "When i'm out of inspiration i get a new guitar" ... And of course the man is now owning a warehouse full of gear !! ôÔ

That's an expensive solution! :D I have been interested in a fretless bass ... :o
posted on #8
User Avatar Supporter
Wade wrote:
How does this relate to music? When I play I have no expectations or demand on myself to be good, better, or great. It's my meditation and my medicine. It's a letting go and having it subsume...no ego, just being in the moment and letting it flow through you.

Self expectations can be good if you need "drive", but can also set up a continual feeling of disappointment in oneself. Hopefully this message is getting through, because I don't think one needs to be old to get it.

Thanks Wade, I think I do get it. I aught to take some time to play 'casually', just noodling around on my own, or jamming with my favorite CDs, without the self-imposed pressure and expectations of recording.
posted on #9
User Avatar Supporter
Seems like telling someone that you're struggling might be key as well, had a pretty decent musical evening :)
posted on #10
User Avatar Supporter
We've all got to find our own way, but it can also help to know that you're not alone in the struggle and find solace in that.

Wishing you all the best.
You're only as old as you smell
posted on #11
User Avatar Supporter
all great advice...i keep an acoustic nearby and just record little "blips" of stuff into my phone. the cool thing is you will probably forget about those "blips" and then revisit them at a later date and get re-inspired haha :) the buying new equipment is also fun, although expensive :) just like Wade said, you're not alone in feeling that way...and it sounds like you already had a great musical evening <3
posted on #12
User Avatar Membre
I find if I can't get the mojo, I usually end up doing a 1-4-5 blues song and it brings me back.
posted on #13
User Avatar Supporter
1) when i put my metronome on, my pleasure runs away faster I can see ;) and then i produce boring things, and as a consequence the pleasure runs away on your side too, it's a tragedy - entirely ;) ;)

2) changing instruments - even if they are pretty close manufactured / similar built, is a big factor for me, for motivation.
Edited by hartmut on Juin 11 2021 20:22
posted on #14
User Avatar Supporter
My strategy, take a break. Do other things, ride your bike, go for a walk, listen to other music and be inspired by life. At the moment I am in a phase like this.
Rockin´ in a free world !
posted on #15
User Avatar Supporter
It's a good topic this one! Many of the regulars on here are used to me coming and going for months at a time! There are so many reasons that *could* be why your mojo comes and goes but, in truth, only you know the truth of the matter.

If you want to do something, you will always make the time and the effort. Anything else is just an excuse as to why you don't want to do it.

As Wade touches on, as you get older, more and more of life doesn't just get in the way but also wears you down! Which, in my case makes matters even worse because I still expect the playing quality of my 30 year-old self when I played for hours a day! Now I manage maybe an hour or two a week but still get frustrated that I'm not playing to the standard I know I can achieve. Catch-22!

Ultimately, as mentioned above, if you ain't feeling it, walk away and come back to it when you are. Pushing yourself to be musical when your heart's not in it will just make everything worse.
If you make a mistake, do it again and make it look like you meant to do it!
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
shaneelks from United States

"Thank you for allowing musicians across the continent the chance to connect!"

wikiloops.com utilise des Cookies pour vous apporter la meilleure expérience de navigation.
En apprendre plus sur notre charte des données privées .