Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Ugly EQ Frequencies

Ugly EQ Frequencies

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
Quick but great video!
Id like to add cutting 4k to this video. Gets rid of shrill cymbals. 4k also makes ride cymbals tingly tingly.
If you have EQ tips please share.The 3.3 k is new to me and can either be cut or boosted.It really effects vocals.
Acoustic players will want to try the 134 cut. It works great.

Assuming someone reading this has experience with EQ, starting with a Q (The width of the EQ curve that effects the frequencies around it) of 1 and cutting -.5 to -12db gradually while listening is a good place to start.

[youtube]KN9oSuz6C20[/youtube]

[img]https://www.ccisolutions.com/StoreFront/jsp/images/categories/Q-example.jpg[/img]
Edited by LittleWing on Octobre 17 2020 18:47
posted on #2
User Avatar Supporter
That's quite interesting, thanks!!!
posted on #3
User Avatar Membre
learnt a lot here thanks for sharing.
Zoot
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
Yes thanks for sharing I tried adjusting eq on a boomy old demo and yeah sounds better great share :W
posted on #5
User Avatar Supporter
great info, i need to try this. thanks for sharing <3
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
Adding quick frequencies to boost a guitar or bass in a mix:

Bass :
Lo cut off 40hz
134 hz q=1-2 -2db
250-350 hz q=1 -1.5 db
1330 hz q=1 +.5db
4000 hz q=1 +.2db

Guitar:
Lo cutoff=80hz
134 hz q=1 -2db
200hz q=1 +1.2db
1500 hz q=1 +1db
5000 hz q=1 +.5db
Edited by LittleWing on Janvier 15 2021 18:27
posted on #7
User Avatar Supporter
I was just preparing a post on mixing.

I mix and master a track with some intent, say uploading to wikiloops. After work, the mix makes me happy so uploading happens. Then referencing to peer material, afterwards, of course is not the tried and true way to master. My mixes often sound as if submerged in sludge compared to many bright, snappy mixes here at wikiloops.

I will take a look at this video. Also, for folks with a 'shooting from the hip' mastering style, this short answer may help. A few tweaks and some of my older muddy mixes sound alot better.

'The most common part of a mix that gets muddy is the 200-500Hz area. Fixing it is as easy as carving out a bit of space in these frequencies. Go back to your EQ insert on the tracks that are still sounding a bit muffled. Select the frequency range that you'd like to target and tweak it until it's sounding better.'

Happy mastering.:)
Michael Bender
posted on #8
User Avatar Supporter
"My mixes often sound as if submerged in sludge compared to many bright, snappy mixes here at wikiloops. "

Learn about hi pass filtering. Cut everything below 80hz for guitar and 40 hz for bass.Most EQ plug ins have it. A hi pass chops off all frequencies BELOW the frequency you tell it. Those sub bass frequencies serve no purpose unless you are mixing rap.

The next two frequencies will clean up mud and frequency bleed over:

250 hz. Slowly cut the db until it clears up but be careful how it interacts with kick drums.You may have to shift slightly to 230 or even 300hz depending.

134 hz This is the notorious "boominess" on the low end of guitars. Cut it down.You can probably go up to -3 db in cutting.

Hope that helps. Those frequencies work on instruments but mixes as well
You definitley understand when to use a tight , accurate "Q"(curve) to a wider general "Q" curve .On most EQs the "Q" value is simply "How wide the frequency curve and how strong it will effect the frequencies around it.

Problems on the treble side start at 1330 hz. this is the frequency of most fire alarms and also nails on a chalkboard. You can boost it to liven up a dead sounding instrument or vocal or else cut it if your high end is "shrill".You have to be careful with that one.
Edited by LittleWing on Janvier 15 2021 19:14
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
atman from Germany

"A fantastic platform for practise and exercise my instrument with the influence and inspirations i get from other musicians all over the world, great"

wikiloops.com utilise des Cookies pour vous apporter la meilleure expérience de navigation.
En apprendre plus sur notre charte des données privées .