Home » Forum » Recording and mixing »
Sound level of Bass Far Too Loud after Converting to MP3

Sound level of Bass Far Too Loud after Converting to MP3

posted on #1
Sith Lord
Membre
When I record my bass line, it's either subdued in the mix, or close to evenly balanced. But after I bounce it to disk, and convert it to an mp3, the bass is way to up front in the mix, and far louder than what I heard prior to the bounce. I'm not sure what's going on there, or how to fix it. I'm using an M Track Plus, into Pro Tools Express, and headphones for monitors. Any input to help me resolve this issue is greatly appreciated.
posted on #2
OliVBee Supporter
things you could check :
is there some kind of eq on your master that will be applied on your mix ? comp ? if there is then try to bypass and see how your mixdown sounds ...
same thing on your bass stem
check your monitoring routing ... and by the way mixing with headphones is way not ideal ;)
are you listening the mixdown in the very same conditions as your pre mix ? same interface ? track any eq'ing at any level of your routing ...
welcome onboard by the way ;)
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
nilton
Membre
In addition to olivs comment: Make a mix to .mp3 and another to .Wav and compaare them. If they differ much try to encode the .wav to .mp3 using an externa encoder like Lame
posted on #4
Sith Lord
Membre
OliVBee wrote:
things you could check :
is there some kind of eq on your master that will be applied on your mix ? comp ? if there is then try to bypass and see how your mixdown sounds ...
same thing on your bass stem
check your monitoring routing ... and by the way mixing with headphones is way not ideal ;)
are you listening the mixdown in the very same conditions as your pre mix ? same interface ? track any eq'ing at any level of your routing ...
welcome onboard by the way ;)

Nah. If I want eq, then I have to use a plug in. I've not been using any of that stuff yet. I'm using the same interface, track, etc when listening to everything after bouncing, and rendering it to mp3. The only thing that is different, is the daw. Pro tools express in their infinite wisdom, doesn't convert to mp3, so I have to do that part in Audacity. I also get that mixing with headphones isn't ideal, but I've gotta work with what I have for now. Thank you for the welcome.
posted on #5
DannyK
Membre
When I had ProTools I, too, had the darnedest time mixing down. I tried Logic and have been hooked ever since, It has mix down presets that work pretty darn good.
posted on #6
Sith Lord
Membre
nilton wrote:
In addition to olivs comment: Make a mix to .mp3 and another to .Wav and compaare them. If they differ much try to encode the .wav to .mp3 using an externa encoder like Lame

This didn't resolve the problem, but it did put me on the right path in searching the right problem. I had to interleave the file when bouncing it. Then after the wav bounced, I noticed the quality was drastically better. I have to use Audacity to convert wav to mp3, so I have lame already, and after converting the interleaved wave to mp3, the quality was still good. So I think if I do it that way on future projects, I should be good to go.

Thanks for the advice you all provided. It is appreciated.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
If only Wikiloops was around when I was younger, I would be a lot richer as a musician. I,ts great to share. Thanks Wikiloops.
MalCo from Ireland

wikiloops.com utilise des Cookies pour vous apporter la meilleure expérience de navigation.
En apprendre plus sur notre charte des données privées.