Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Smaller, regional Wikimeets?

Smaller, regional Wikimeets?

posted on #1
Girard
Membre
OK, some of us feel officially left out now, don't we?

Maybe it's time to start organizing more frequent, (even if smaller) meetups.

If we did one in the Northeast US and picked a location with GREAT internet, we could pull off a perfect hi quality stream too for everyone else to watch.

What if we started brainstorming about where in the US would be a good place for a small Wikimeet? I live in Central NY State near Syracuse. On any given week I could probably drive to Massachussetts, New York City, Buffalo etc...the best places to do this would be in the suburbs of a large city to avoid having to drive IN the cities.

The suburbs of every American city have great internet. Anyone have any ideas? If I had a house with a yard, I would offer to host it. I can certainly do a lot of organizing, but I cannot host it.
posted on #2
mpointon Supporter
If there's a jam in the NE USA, I'm there! Don't care what it costs!
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
Girard
Membre
In April there is a week I have. Totally free to do this.
posted on #4
Rickplayer
Membre
That's a great idea and I would be interested if it fits my busy schedule. It was a treat to meet up with Akethesnaker when he visited the U.S.
posted on #5
Girard
Membre
Looking like April 25-30 is the best time for me!
posted on #6
DannyK
Membre
I could fly into Pittsburgh, visit my family, and then drive up to Buffalo. I would rent something, maybe an SUV, to carry some gear. I'd have to see if the wife is comfortable being home alone. We have too many animals to leave behind - sitters are expensive! If anyone wanted to come to LA there are lots of rental jam spaces as you might imagine complete with PAs, drumkits, bass/electric guitar amps, lounges ... you name it!
posted on #7
Rickplayer
Membre
If we all was to plan a place that would be the center of travels I would say somewhere in Tennessee it would make the travel about the same distance for all. Just a thought!!!
posted on #8
DannyK
Membre
This is true, Dave, and I'm willing to pay for some equipped rental space so only one's instruments would need to travel. I'm sure they're available somewhere around or in Nashville.
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
Slimdaver
Membre
Remember last year, I did a bit of work on this and consulted Dick as well. To hold a meeting under the Wikiloops name is a big responsibility and a lot of work. A poorly organized event would not reflect well on all that is wikiloops and Dick's loops reputation which is held in the highest regard among members. That said though i think with enough members involved we can make something happen. Here is a list of what we figured out.

1.) Someone needs to finance it. Someone needs to be responsible for booking the event and the costs involved. There are risks associated with people cancelling last minute. I think Dick needs to agree with whoever is in charge.

2.) Venue and Equipment - I looked into a venue and the ideal spot would be one of those rehearsal places which offer multiple jam rooms, but have at least one large room. Rehearsal spaces have sound equipment. Equipment is not an issue. Many of us have full PA systems etc. A negative with rehearsal spaces are the hours. Some close early.

3.) Food - would be nice if venue allowed food, but not many have kitchens.

4.) Lodging - we need a place to sleep if from far away.

5.) Tourism - need an itinerary of touring local attractions.

We mentioned Nashville last time. The issue with Nashville with me is the distance, and that it's not in my country. Location should be determined by where we'd get the best turnout. I think somewhere north east might be where we end up.

So the best way to make a meeting happen is a small group of wikiloops members need to put together a full complete plan and present it to Dick for his thoughts, get approval and then present it to the members.

- Slim
posted on #10
Girard
Membre
Slim,

I understand the concerns. However, take Rickplayer and Ake for example. They got together, and jammed, and it was great. It wasn't an official "Wikimeet".

It doesn't have to be so complicated. Why can't ten of us just get together? Why does it have to be anything more than a garage with an affordable motel nearby?

Just thoughts. Simplicity is the key to success sometimes.
posted on #11
Girard
Membre
Danny mentions Buffalo, which would work for me. Think about this folks. NIAGARA FALLS IS a short drive north of Buffalo!!!!

Now that's a place to meet!
posted on #12
ToadCruncher
Membre
I remember the thread from last years meeting and understand what Slimdaver and Dick talked about but I think you might be onto something Girard, we wouldn't have to use the wikiloop copy rights but rather just get some people together to meet and jam with a lot less pressure of making it a full blown event. maybe if you can find enough local people it could be pretty simple. just a thought. find out how many loopers live in for example the Boston or New York area and go from there. or mid state and west coast could do the same. If something start to happen then great. Myself, I'm 40 min from Boston so I'd drive anywhere from a 150 mile radius without a second thought.
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
posted on #13
Girard
Membre
ToadCruncher wrote:
I remember the thread from last years meeting and understand what Slimdaver and Dick talked about but I think you might be onto something Girard, we wouldn't have to use the wikiloop copy rights but rather just get some people together to meet and jam with a lot less pressure of making it a full blown event. maybe if you can find enough local people it could be pretty simple. just a thought. find out how many loopers live in for example the Boston or New York area and go from there. or mid state and west coast could do the same. If something start to happen then great. Myself, I'm 40 min from Boston so I'd drive anywhere from a 150 mile radius without a second thought.

Exactly! We do NOT have to brand it Wikiloops, we just have to meet together somewhere. I will pretty much drive anywhere in the Northeast. All it has to be is somewhere where playing music all night long won't bother anyone, with food available nearby. No need for home-cooked meals and all that. I'd eat bagged snacks for 3 days in order to jam with yall!!! Renting an empty warehouse or something would even work.
posted on #14
Slimdaver
Membre
Buffalo works for me as I am only a two hour drive away!!! So let's back up a bit and start by planning something simple then we can expand on it. What if we did a Saturday afternoon - night, then Sunday afternoon thing? Only would need to pay for one night's motel. Something this close I could bring rastafari to play drums. We have a full set of equipment and PA, mixer, mics, monitors etc. Just need a venue we can make a lot of noise and not get in trouble. Try and pick somewhere that works for a small group, but could easily be changed up to handle many musicians. I'm not sure what's involved in getting a lot of music gear across the border.
posted on #15
Girard
Membre
Slimdaver wrote:
Buffalo works for me as I am only a two hour drive away!!! So let's back up a bit and start by planning something simple then we can expand on it. What if we did a Saturday afternoon - night, then Sunday afternoon thing? Only would need to pay for one night's motel. Something this close I could bring rastafari to play drums. We have a full set of equipment and PA, mixer, mics, monitors etc. Just need a venue we can make a lot of noise and not get in trouble. Try and pick somewhere that works for a small group, but could easily be changed up to handle many musicians. I'm not sure what's involved in getting a lot of music gear across the border.

If we're gonna keep it simple we could even do it sooner :)
posted on #16
Girard
Membre
I'm gonna take a look on Craigslist at the "band practice space" listings. I recall seeing some there.
posted on #17
nilton
Membre
Aren't there a lot of available venues in detroit?
posted on #18
Rickplayer
Membre
As Girard has noted a wikiloop get together is a lot to put on and organize but on the other hand if a few musicians wanted to get together and jam as Akethesnaker and I did would also be a fun thing to do. I have access to a small hall that holds 150 people that would not cost to have for a few days. And it is only about a 30 minute drive from the closest hotels in my area. And then there is the option of playing at my house in my garage. I also could get someone with a pa system for us. Just another option to think about.
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
posted on #19
Girard
Membre
Rickplayer wrote:
As Girard has noted a wikiloop get together is a lot to put on and organize but on the other hand if a few musicians wanted to get together and jam as Akethesnaker and I did would also be a fun thing to do. I have access to a small hall that holds 150 people that would not cost to have for a few days. And it is only about a 30 minute drive from the closest hotels in my area. And then there is the option of playing at my house in my garage. I also could get someone with a pa system for us. Just another option to think about.

And there we have it folks, we're going to Dave's town! Alright i'm sold. Where do I sign?? :)
posted on #20
Rickplayer
Membre
Lets see who would want to and when we could and then make this happen in the near future. Oh and forgot to mention my wife could cook some meals at the gig spot for us if needed. Sounds like fun lets see who and when and I'll check hotel availability.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
The thing about wikiloops is the incredible people willing to share their creations with the world purely for their love for music. It's priceless!
Riky from Portugal

wikiloops.com utilise des Cookies pour vous apporter la meilleure expérience de navigation.
En apprendre plus sur notre charte des données privées.