Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Pickin it up again

Pickin it up again

posted on #1
Fishinmissio
Membre
So..after 40 years of not playing I decided to start again realizing I shoulda never quit(At least that's the way I feel...some of you might think I shoulda quit for good..lol) after high school. Being retired now..or kinda sort of..I took up a position working as a Fed Ex driver.

Last Saturday...I delivered a box of what turned out to be cymbals to a guy who told me he was starting to play drums again after 40 years. Of course I told him about this site and to check it out...

So..I was just wondering how many of you here never quit playing(I am assuming most of you since you are all way better musicians than myself)..or moreso..How many of you have returned to playing after quitting for whatever reasons?

B) Mark
posted on #2
Rickplayer
Membre
I had quit after 5 years in a club band going nowhere. Now I play for the fun of it and its a whole lot better than trying to get along with 4 guys with big egos.

Dave
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
DannyK
Membre
Fishinmissio wrote:So..I was just wondering how many of you here never quit playing(I am assuming most of you since you are all way better musicians than myself)..or moreso..How many of you have returned to playing after quitting for whatever reasons?

B) Mark

I've played six string on-and-off since the age of 14 (42 now). I had periods where I didn't pick it up for months and then periods where I played every day. I was much more serious in my late teens and through my twenties, gigging, teaching, and whatnot. In my mid-30s I developed a skin condition on my fingers that kept me from playing on those little wires called strings - they just dug into my skin too much. So I hung up six-string for good. I just about retired from music and look for a new hobby but then I found out that bass strings, being larger, do not dig into my skin. They don't hurt my fingers. So I switched to bass guitar and have been knocking it around for about 2 years. I'll never be as proficient as I was on the six-string, though.

I'd really like to get into mixing. A good track can die because of a bad mix. But yeah, not as long of an absence as yours but not as consistent as most, here.
posted on #4
Lutz
Administrateur
Oh yes!
I have quit too often! I quit so many times, dividing my life between music and other things. I quit the saxophones at least three times, for some years, for 10 years. I had a period for piano until I sold it. I had the guitar on and off. I quit bands when other interests became stronger.
And I do regret sometimes. Especially that I learned only very late the secret and the fun of practicing!
posted on #5
Fishinmissio
Membre
Nice Lutz..You sound great on sax...I will go to my grave wishing I never quit...and ha ha..wishing I woulda played tenor sax back then instead of alto...but heck..that just falls into the story of my life....:D

Mark
posted on #6
mpointon Supporter
I stopped playing for around seven or so years in 1996 due to first marriage and baby, etc., after a few years of trying to be a professional (i.e. no money and teaching to scrape by). Always missed my drums whilst I wasn't playing but why is another story for another time...

Picked it up again in 2002 to play in a production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat but then stopped for another year or two, mostly due to being unable to practice where I lived. Started playing in bands again in 2006 and haven't really stopped since due to demand. I've played in bands since although I now mostly dep for local bands, anything from a Ska band to a function band to a Blues Brothers tribute act. I also attend fortnightly jam nights where I'm the 'house' drummer.

It's a bit depressing in some ways that I can't get my former professional precision back though. On the plus side, the time off undid a lot of my technique. When I returned to playing I found I just 'played' rather than focus on being technically correct. I feel a more musical drummer now than in my heyday. I just don't have the time for the practice any more so live off the skills and techniques I acquired 20 years ago!
posted on #7
Fishinmissio
Membre
Yeah..I retired..only to find myself working again full time....Trying to stay up on the fishing, learn recording and mixing..re-learning a somewhat new to me instrument..takin care of the home front..a new foreign wife....Yahoo http://retirement.littlethings.com/fight-for-your-right-party/?utm_source=LTcom&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=seniors
posted on #8
Zamzam
Membre
Quitting for me would mean no food clothing or shelter.
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
Girard
Membre
I bought my first bass at 19 after feeling like I was a bass player already without the bass. I did not have discipline or stability in my life, so I never got anywhere. In Nov 2013, I was listening to "Silly love songs" by Wings, and it was like an outer body experience. .McCartney's bass was just so startlingly heavenly, and I never really heard it like that before that day. I think we hear music differently in different stages of mental development.

Later that week, I found myself listening to "Give a little bit" by Supertramp, and that pushed me over the edge. I bought a new bass then, that week at the age of 39. I learned to play by learning where the notes are, learning the basic scales, and using Rocksmith for its Session Mode, which is basically a free for all jam mode where you start playing and the artificial intelligence band kicks in along with you. I learned to play and got comfortable playing in this improvisational atmosphere. I don't like structure, and I don't like it in real life either. After playing for about 7 months with Rocksmith jam mode, I found Wikiloops, and started harassing Ake a lot lol. This place has made me better for sure. The non-judgmental atmosphere is important. It allows us to air it all out, then try again later without worrying about humiliation. Dick has made the GREATEST SITE ON EARTH AND HE IS A GENIUS for it.

We are BLESSED to be here.

Music is like food. We all have different tastes, so I don't worry about being "good" or not. If it sounds good to me, it is good. Even if someone else doesn't like it. The western music scene is very unfair to musicians as it devalues great musicians like the ones here. In other words, there is no need to feel illegitimate because you took a long break and didn't get famous. The important thing is that you play your instrument BEFORE you die. You are putting energy into the universe that cannot be destroyed, and effects those who listen!!!!

Keep it up!!! I love your sax playing, it sounds and feels good, it makes no difference if it's on the radio. WHat IS on the radio? How good is that stuff these days anyway?
posted on #10
Girard
Membre
dannyk wrote:

I've played six string on-and-off since the age of 14 (42 now). I had periods where I didn't pick it up for months and then periods where I played every day. I was much more serious in my late teens and through my twenties, gigging, teaching, and whatnot. In my mid-30s I developed a skin condition on my fingers that kept me from playing on those little wires called strings - they just dug into my skin too much. So I hung up six-string for good. I just about retired from music and look for a new hobby but then I found out that bass strings, being larger, do not dig into my skin. They don't hurt my fingers. So I switched to bass guitar and have been knocking it around for about 2 years. I'll never be as proficient as I was on the six-string, though.

I'd really like to get into mixing. A good track can die because of a bad mix. But yeah, not as long of an absence as yours but not as consistent as most, here.

Girard says:

[u]I think you're awesome Danny.[/u]
posted on #11
clifrogers
Membre
I've been playing 6 string since '71, I didn't play if very often while my children were young but I doubt a whole week has gone by without me playing since '89.

I bought a Bass in 2000 & started to learn but I am also into woodwork & made a hard case for it & once it went in the case, I rarely ever got it out again.

I got it out last month & started playing it again & I'm happy to say that I reckon I will keep it up this time.

Having somebody to play with helps... I have played Bass with our local Ukulele group & they are happy to have me so it gives me some good practice.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Gracias a todos por ayudarme a ser mejor músico =) Thanks you all for helping me to be a better muscician
ladybass from Spain

wikiloops.com utilise des Cookies pour vous apporter la meilleure expérience de navigation.
En apprendre plus sur notre charte des données privées.