Home »Forum»Open mic at the Blue Iguana »Everybody should be a Bass player.

Everybody should be a Bass player.

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
No secret I love bass players. Part of that is selfish as it's my favorite instrument to play with as a duo or with drums. The other more relevant part is attitude. For most bass players, when adding to a track, the integrity of the music comes first and enhancing what's there.

Nothing wrong with other instruments taking the lead, having a bit of personality, carrying the melody etc. However bass players seldom have an attitude of being in the music to try and be the object of the music.

Music works best when it draws the listener in and takes them for a ride. When it becomes about an individual standing outside the music trying to make it about themselves then IMHO it fails. We have a lot of great players here who get this and fit beautifully with their abilities always in the service of the music rather than their abilities being the subject of their playing.

Here's to the Bass players who enhance and support. Their attitude is something to emulate, especially if you are playing the lead.
Edited by Wade on Septembre 19 2021 04:31
You're only as old as you smell
posted on #2
User Avatar Supporter
Wade wrote:
No secret I love bass players. Part of that is selfish as it's my favorite instrument to play with as a duo or with drums. The other more relevant part is attitude. For most bass players, when adding to a track, the integrity of the music comes first and enhancing what's there.

Nothing wrong with other instruments taking the lead, having a bit of personality, carrying the melody etc. However bass players seldom have an attitude of being in the music to try and be the object of the music.

Music works best when it draws the listener in and takes them for a ride. When it becomes about an individual standing outside the music trying to make it about themselves then IMHO it fails. We have a lot of great players here who get this and fit beautifully with their abilities always in the service of the music rather than their abilities being the subject of their playing.

Here's to the Bass players who enhance and support. Their attitude is something to emulate, especially if you are playing the lead.

That takes it to the point. Playing bass can be like completing a puzzle. Finding the balance between the percussion and the melody, filling the gap within the wall of frequencies while not playing too much. Groove mostly is founded on the notes you don't play.
There's nothing wrong with soloing or slapping like hell - but once you're playing with others, it's team play ;)

Just my two cents ;)
posted on #3
User Avatar Membre
Woah there! This place is literally stuffed with lead bass players!
But I notice the same guys can and do play subtle too. I guess it depends how many beers they had and whether they're in the mood to let rip or enhance and of course the tracks they're playing on. No use being subtle on a funk number.
Every bass player inclined to indulge themselves should listen to this and work out why this is superb bass playing IMO. :)
[youtube]seJAOWHUeJE[/youtube]
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
Good example zedders of a classic. Right you are about lots of great bass players here who can definitely shred. I guess the difference I hear in most bass players is that they are inside the music rather than standing apart in "watch me mommie" mode.

Audiences can always tell when a player is just trying to TAKE praise rather than GIVING to their listener.

Here's a good example from within our confines: #205689. One of our great Bass players Alex Sarikov is in lead mode, then goes off the rails in ego mode (for fun) and is (in fun) smacked around by StJray.

The point is you can be a great player, play lead, shred, and do all sorts of stuff and still be giving. When players switch to ego mode most of us can tell and (to my mind) it changes the music from being three dimensional with everyone inside (including the listener) to two dimensional with the ego playing AT the listener.
posted on #5
User Avatar Membre
Wade wrote:
Good example zedders of a classic. Right you are about lots of great bass players here who can definitely shred. I guess the difference I hear in most bass players is that they are inside the music rather than standing apart in "watch me mommie" mode.

Audiences can always tell when a player is just trying to TAKE praise rather than GIVING to their listener.

Here's a good example from within our confines: #205689. One of our great Bass players Alex Sarikov is in lead mode, then goes off the rails in ego mode (for fun) and is (in fun) smacked around by StJray.

The point is you can be a great player, play lead, shred, and do all sorts of stuff and still be giving. When players switch to ego mode most of us can tell and (to my mind) it changes the music from being three dimensional with everyone inside (including the listener) to two dimensional with the ego playing AT the listener.
Your example is not playing to an existing song so he couldn't really go wrong could he? What followed had to fit with him, not the other way around. No way am I going to link to an example of what I might consider inappropriate bass playing though because, hey, IMO the point is that whole ethos and structure of wikiloops is so brilliantly non-destructive that it simply doesn't matter - there is no such thing - other than in my mind which is purely my taste. :)

There are for sure a LOT of active bass players on here which is fantastic! Most jams are spoilt for choice in the bass department. I played bass in a Reggae band at one time, backing Jamaican ex-child star Vinley Gayle in the UK. He's still going and must be well into his 60's by now - a man with so much charisma the word could have been invented for him. Good times. :)
Edited by zedders on Septembre 20 2021 10:36
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
With due respect I think you're missing the point. This was an example of what Alex was satirizing. The title smile gives it away and others have played along with the joke.

One can play over the top by themselves as well as with others. Relax, have fun and like the rest of us rejoice in being in a safe environment where even those who are ego players can have a nice ride.

I'm still celebrating bass players as the players who (as a generalization) have the best attitude. Something to be emulated. I don't know if you're arguing against this or just in a truculent mood. Peace to you.
posted on #7
User Avatar Membre
Wade wrote:
With due respect I think you're missing the point. This was an example of what Alex was satirizing. The title smile gives it away and others have played along with the joke.

One can play over the top by themselves as well as with others. Relax, have fun and like the rest of us rejoice in being in a safe environment where even those who are ego players can have a nice ride.

I'm still celebrating bass players as the players who (as a generalization) have the best attitude. Something to be emulated. I don't know if you're arguing against this or just in a truculent mood. Peace to you.
Oops -I missed the joke - not the first time! I do agree, bass players are in a position where the skill could often be termed as "less is more" and this is certainly something to aspire to. Good bass can be almost invisible... until you take it away leaving a huge hole. am I getting it now? :)
Truculent? Not me. A bit thick sometimes - that's me. :)
posted on #8
User Avatar Supporter
All good!
posted on #9
User Avatar Supporter
Hi Wade,
I really appreciate your comments. Bass is my only instrument, and I like it because it helps to knit the entire ensemble together. It's a challenge to come up with bass lines that truly support the entire piece of music, and that add interest and drive. When you come up with a good bass line, it makes the song better. Wikiloops gives we bass players many opportunities to try to do that!
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Evosaki900 from United States

"I supported Wikiloops not for their name, I support it because it was a great idea & is a great way for musicians to jam outside their circles. "

wikiloops.com utilise des Cookies pour vous apporter la meilleure expérience de navigation.
En apprendre plus sur notre charte des données privées .