Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
VST: good deals and favorites

VST: good deals and favorites

posted on #1
Lysbleu
Membre
I'm not sponsored by any brands whatsoever. For those who are, please don't participate in this forum.

I would like to know your favorite VSTs and share the best purchases of the moment.

Pas de problème avec le français. ;)
posted on #2
Lysbleu
Membre
My budget for music is low.
A few days ago I bought the movie companion kit Sonivox Film Score.
For what I do, it's ok.
But beware, have to back up often, sometimes it crashes.
$ 20 US ... it's a no brainer.
But who knows? If my budget allows, I may be able to buy bigger VSTs. So I dream ...
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
leftTheLoops22012324
Membre
There's a lot of free vst plugins on the net .
Go to google type free vst plugins.
Some of the sites you'll have to register your email for there news letters etc. But you can unsubscribe anytime if you don't want all there spam .
For payed one's.
Fabfilter bundle will give u EQs,Compressor's, Reverb's, Delays,Dessers,noise gates,saturation ( enhancement) , fabfilter are very good plugins .
Also Waves complete bundle will give you every thing you'll ever need but its expensive.
I use Prosonus Studio One . But Reaper is a good daw and its free to download I think .
Remember with your plugins back the effect off a bit by about 6db they work better n sound better
And try putting them on send channels gives u more control
+1
posted on #4
leftTheLoops22012324
Membre
PS. To use 32bit plugins on a 64bit platform you have to bridge the plugin .
Meaning u have to use a program to make them work on 64bit .
On the net look for Jbridge program download it ,its free.
Read instructions how to use it
If your on budget you can get by with the free plugins n reaper has a good list on plugins in it's daw as well.
+1
posted on #5
magirtiko
Membre
32 bit VST plugins are no more supported by the most DAWs, as for software (pc, smartphone, apps ecc..)

I suggest to switch to 64bits to have the best :)

Cheers,
Mirko
posted on #6
leftTheLoops22012324
Membre
To use 32bit plugins on a 64bit platform you have to bridge the plugin .read the post brother :W
+1
posted on #7
Lysbleu
Membre
Thank you both. Very kind.
Most of the plugins I use are from the DAW. It's good.
Soon I'll post a list of the VST and plugins that I use. Today I have to go to work.
posted on #8
wjl Supporter
Lysbleu wrote:
My budget for music is low.
If my budget allows, I may be able to buy bigger VSTs. So I dream ...

Lys,

if your budget is low, and your demands aren't too exquisite, may I suggest using Linux and free and open source tools? I use:

- Debian Linux (since more than 20 years)
- the KXStudio repositories on top of that, which bring some really nice things for free, like Carla and Cadence for instance
- Ardour as my main DAW - see https://ardour.org/ and https://manual.ardour.org/toc/
- for plugins, mostly Calf (Linux only, see http://calf-studio-gear.org/ for what you get and how it looks) and the free ones from TAL (see https://tal-software.com/products also for Windows and Mac (VST, AU, AAX))
- countless other free plugins, a good list is in https://libremusicproduction.com/tools.html

See a compelling reason for using free (or even self-made) stuff in an interview with Markus Schmidt, one of the programmers of the Calf Studio Gear at https://libremusicproduction.com/articles/lmp-asks-6-interview-markus-schmidt.html

I have some commercial stuff, mostly what came together with my interface and so on - but I don't really see an advantage of using these (on Windows or with Wine on Linux) against the free tools I have...

My computer is an older Core i5 (4th generation or so, the actual ones are 10th gen) which I built myself - so it's all pretty cheap. In fact my bass (also cheap), amp, interface, and mike together cost way more than my machine, with all the software for free... :)

Hope that helps,
regards,
Wolfgang
+4
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
magirtiko
Membre
Bluesjamer wrote:
To use 32bit plugins on a 64bit platform you have to bridge the plugin .read the post brother :W

I read that before: it works, no doubt.

But your 32 bit plugins are no more supported, neither by productors neither by DAWs: you will never receive both an update and an enhancement.
posted on #10
Lysbleu
Membre
Thank you Wjl

I have Cubase for a few years and I only know 60% of its capabilities.
It's enough for me.

But, yes, I heard a lot of good from Linux.
+1
posted on #11
leftTheLoops22012324
Membre
Wjl has given you some good advice there.
I tried cubase when I first started to learn what does what and I found it very complicated .
I was just looking at reaper too on net they have a new version out version 6 and its fully loaded you can use it for 2 months free then it only cost $60us for the licence .
Its layout and use ability is very easy to learn .
As far as plugins go Eq, compression, reverb,delay,will be the main ones you use and Wjl is right I have those Tal free ones I use them all the time
+1
posted on #12
wjl Supporter
Hey Lys, hey Bluesjamer,

yes Cubase is what I learned first when using computers to make music, when MIDI was still the hot topic :)

A friend of ours (my brother's and mine) went all in during that time, first using Cubase, later Logic (when that still belonged to eMagic or whatever the name was). Copy protection via dongles was a pain, but he dealt with it.

Now the school of our small one is 'sponsored' by Steinberg/Yamaha, and they got a couple (like half a dozen or so) workstations with Cubase for free, so I also bought a cheap version of it for at home, so that she can have a look. Until now, we never did - even Zuleikha (15 soon) is using Linux on a Dell notebook she got from my wife. I showed her how to integrate a bit of reverb on an extra channel for her piano (Yamaha Arius with only MIDI out, so the sounds are mostly from https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/3 (the Salamander Grand which is a Yamaha C5)), and that's about all she needs (or so she said).

That TAL reverb (I have three different ones) is pretty good, I'm using that all of the time (tho almost never for my bass, for that one it's mostly a Calf Eq & compressor on the main and sometimes some chorus on an extra channel).

But then again, I'm no pro :)

Edit: like Bluesjamer, I tried Reaper on Windows, and that's a pretty neat program. From all the ones I tried on that platform, Reaper would probably be my choice today. Runs on Mac as well, and there's also an experimental Linux build.

Hope that helps,
and cheers,
Wolfgang
+2
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
posted on #13
Lysbleu
Membre
I still use a soundfont player: rgaudio sfz
Can still get a lot of instruments on the net.
Very good to start.
posted on #14
StJray
Membre
Subject always interesting especially since there are each year new plugins that are better than the previous ones (here I intentionally wrote plugins instead of VST).
The link after, is a video about the supposed best free plugins 2019 ... it's also subject about 32bits plugins and jBridge and +
Thank you for opening this topic!
Ray
https://youtu.be/_2if3ZdhNFc
+1
posted on #15
leftTheLoops22012324
Membre
i just want to add some information that might be useful to some.
I watch many many utube videos on mixing etc, many of them are crap so you have to find one or two guys that explain and show you in an easy and understandable way.
Anyway learnt the normal stuff Compression, EQ, Effects etc Etc .
But one thing I just ignored was Phasing which is how your stereo field sits in your mix .
When you ad Effects etc your phasing goes out of wack
So I re listened to the tracks I have been uploading on Wiki and took one of them added a phase correction Vst on the master bus insert .
After fooling around with it and reading the instructions on the Vst how to use it I made adjustments to the track getting the left and right channels phase so there was same going into each channel and Wow! the difference is amazing.
So all my tracks on Wiki are out of Phase.
+1
posted on #16
leftTheLoops22012324
Membre
ps You have to put it on the master bus not your channel buses or you will mess up all your mixing etc.
basically its the last plug in on every thing
Also Phasing can be used as an effect putting instruments out of phase etc to create different sounds etc but that is a bit beyond me at the momenthttps://youtu.be/1lfh6mA5fQI
posted on #17
Lysbleu
Membre
A bit out of the subjet, but can someone can explain to me why they don't offert expression pedal input on most of the new keyboards? Even expensives. It's seems to me that it's a must. How can play play an organ or orchestral VST without...
posted on #18
Lysbleu
Membre
First : Thank you Bluesjamer for your advice. Very kind.

Second :
I gave in ...
I could not resist the offer of native instrument (all 50%) and I gave in ...
I made a Christmas present to myself.
After hearing and reading the reviews, I'm now the owner of the GENIAL, MAGNIFICENT, BRILLIANT, INTELLIGENT strings instrument SESSION STRINGS PRO 2
I'll give you a more complete report in a few days.
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Electric Guitar
159 €
posted on #19
leftTheLoops22012324
Membre
Update on Phasing problem. Go to google type Wider Vst Polyverse .
When site opens should be on wider Vst plugin download page if not go to menu than products and find it .
Now on wider Vst page click download another box will open fill in your name n email etc click OK or submit a download link will be sent your email might take a few minutes to arrive in email .
Download 64bit or 32bit depending on your system.
Install your done.
This plugin will increase your stereo field with no phasing problems it works really well putting it on just the channel you want to affect or on your master bus and its free
+1
posted on #20
Lysbleu
Membre
I have this plugin since few weeks. I didn't know about the phasing problem that can be correct. I'll try that. Thank you!
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Wikiloops is an amazing platform to experiment with the styles of music that I never have had the opportunity to vocalize with. Thanks to all the excellent musicians/producers, the sound quality of the tracks are spectacular.
rtkradle from United States

wikiloops.com utilise des Cookies pour vous apporter la meilleure expérience de navigation.
En apprendre plus sur notre charte des données privées.