Home » Forum » Recording and mixing »
Noise between notes.

Noise between notes.

posted on #1
Andri Supporter
Hi guys!!

I have a technical doubt. Look attached image.

In the area on the left -blue- I recorded with Yamaha Silent and on the right -green- with D'Angelico Excel, without varying volume of input. If you look at the image enlarging a bit, you will see that between Yamaha notes there is noise and in the D'Angelico almost nothing.

What do you think it can be?

Thank you. Peace & Love.
Andri attached the following image:

Edited by Andri on 22 avril 2019 à 19:43
+2
posted on #2
Dick Supporter
Hey Andri,
seriously, go by the sound, not the image... if you can hear the difference and notice some strange resonance with some stringset, drop them.
There are just too many possible reasons for the visualisation over-dramatizing some signal... you could try to have a look with a 3D graph that at least shows you which particular frequencies are appearing between the notes - that stereo waveform represents all frequencies at once, so there's no telling why it decides to draw a few volumen pixels.
Maybe not the type of answer you were hoping for, just thought I'd offer my humble opinion.
+4
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Electric Guitar
159 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
FrankieJ Supporter
I think there are several possible answers Andri.
I will relate a similar situation that I have with one of my older Godin guitars and what I did to address the problem.

In my case the guitar needed additional grounding to alleviate a constant noise/hum that varied in intensity.
I attached a wire to the bridge and then wrapped the other end of the wire to my finger on strum hand.
You can also attach wire to input jack plate for additional grounding.
Doing all of this helped in my situation.

It is known to me that the electronics in my guitar is faulty but replacement of the parts are not available.
Good luck.
+2
posted on #4
LittleWing Supporter
1. Solder a wire from the volume pot body to your bridge.
2. Paint the inside of guitar cavity with this:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/jjkvx5s.png[/img]
[img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-YZdUGWszKU/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]
[img]https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--M7lwB1tb--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1489773677/s7kxbp9dwiktd8bmqgiy.jpg[/img]
+3
posted on #5
Andri Supporter
Thank you all. :)
posted on #6
Andri Supporter
Dick wrote:
Hey Andri,
seriously, go by the sound, not the image... if you can hear the difference and notice some strange resonance with some stringset, drop them.
There are just too many possible reasons for the visualisation over-dramatizing some signal... you could try to have a look with a 3D graph that at least shows you which particular frequencies are appearing between the notes - that stereo waveform represents all frequencies at once, so there's no telling why it decides to draw a few volumen pixels.
Maybe not the type of answer you were hoping for, just thought I'd offer my humble opinion.

posted on #7
TeeGee Supporter
I started recording with a microphone in front of my amp rather than directly into the interface, so now I got a little bit of hum from the tube amp. I actually like it, it sort of "belongs" there, and usually, you can't hear it afterwards anyway in the mix.
+1
posted on #8
wjl Supporter
Hola Andri,

hmmm these are two really different guitars - and tho I don't know which Excel and which Yamaha you have, can it be that one has a piezo which needs more amplification than the other which might have a humbucker? And I guess that Yamaha has a built-in battery-powered preamp? How about the battery "juice" - is it a fresh one? How about impedance (and power) matching with your interface, do you have to turn up one more than the other? Hard to diagnose the problem from afar...
+2
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
wjl Supporter
Andri,

I don't know if it helps, but in #160016 I used 'noise repellent' (see https://github.com/lucianodato/noise-repellent for its home) to have the plugin 'learn' the noise floor from Fanne's guitar, and then lower it a good 10dB or more (forgot).

That's a plugin only available as lv2 (for Linux), but I'm sure there are others for Macs and Windows as well.

Edit: you may call me 'Jaques' :D

[youtube]s3ZCEBD1A5I[/youtube]

Hope that helps,
Saludos,
Wolfgang
+2
posted on #10
magirtiko
Membre
This is a good one Wjl :o

thanks for your advice :)
+2
posted on #11
Andri Supporter
Thank you very much, everyone, for your help. It was just a technical doubt. Actually the noise, perhaps I misused the term, is almost negligible.
I think it depends a lot on the type of pickup on each guitar. Perhaps the Yamaha Silent being a travel guitar, although it sounds very very good, has a very powerful preamp that picks up a lot of the signal and that's why between notes you see, but you do not hear that "noise".
It was more a curiosity than a technical question.

Thank you very much for your answers. I think that besides having fun playing and recording, WL is a place where there are very good people. Peace and love. <3
+5
posted on #12
GemmyF
Membre
@ Andri -- I think it depends a lot on the type of pickup on each guitar. Perhaps the Yamaha Silent being a travel guitar, although it sounds very very good, has a very powerful preamp that picks up a lot of the signal and that's why between notes you see, but you do not hear that "noise".
It was more a curiosity than a technical question.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's what I was thinking!
+1
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
posted on #13
wishnewsky
Membre
TeeGee wrote:
I started recording with a microphone in front of my amp rather than directly into the interface, so now I got a little bit of hum from the tube amp. I actually like it, it sort of "belongs" there, and usually, you can't hear it afterwards anyway in the mix.

i suggest to step up this approach one step further: record both in parallel ;) And mix it by taste after, combining the atmosphere from the room with the "evenness" of direct signal :W Also it can provide several (two and more) different tone blends for different parts of the song. Just mind that both signals are in phase (after recording, as first mixing step), so two tracks don't cancel each other and that way you can have the type of punch/attack as the track requires.
B)
+5
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Wikiloops is a must for ageing musicians like myself ! It has given me something to look forward to every day ! I have made may new great friends !
onewholeft

wikiloops.com utilise des Cookies pour vous apporter la meilleure expérience de navigation.
En apprendre plus sur notre charte des données privées.