Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
First shot at recording an Export kit

First shot at recording an Export kit

posted on #1
Certified-Nut
Membre
Just finished recording a few drum strokes after having placed a couple of mics in a small room to motivate my kids (11 & 17) to play.
I was just wondering if this sounds okay, or downright nasty :)
I had to temper the boominess (EQ) quite a bit. And I did boost the highs considerably.

Also: You will notice my drumming skills are extremely close to nonexistent... :D

So anyway, a soundclip:
https://bit.ly/2Iv8Bsy

Attached a pic of the (poorly?) mic'd up kit.
+3
posted on #2
Ernie440 Supporter
Sounds pretty good, clean! I've heard a lot worse!! :D
+1
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
mpointon Supporter
Hey CN, sounds good - clean and well-separated. You could consider moving the mics a little closer to remove some of the room sound - or put a load of soft furnishings in the room to reduce echo, but my only advice would be to make sure the mics are an equal distance from the centre of the snare and bass drum. This will help with sound clarity.

I'm afraid moving mics around the kit is just a trial-and-error process - trying to find those 'sweet spots' is damn difficult!

As an aside, I hear the classic Pearl Export snare drum sound. If you want to get rid of the 'doofiness' of its sound, tune it higher and damp it lots to kill the ring. A good way to damp a snare is to use duct tape but fold a part of it in the middle together so it leaves a bit sticking up. Like this:

[img]https://i.stack.imgur.com/T3vwK.jpg[/img]
+2
posted on #4
Certified-Nut
Membre
Thanks for the advice, Martin! Will surely take some serious trialing and erroring :)
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Wikiloops is an amazing platform to experiment with the styles of music that I never have had the opportunity to vocalize with. Thanks to all the excellent musicians/producers, the sound quality of the tracks are spectacular.
rtkradle from United States

wikiloops.com utilise des Cookies pour vous apporter la meilleure expérience de navigation.
En apprendre plus sur notre charte des données privées.