Home » Forum » Recording and mixing »
To all acoustic drummers....

To all acoustic drummers....

posted on #1
R_T_71
Membre
i used to have electronic drums and they was really simple to record with...
i now use acoustic and have them mic'd and can record using a yamaha aw1600 which is a awesome digital recorder and can do anything ( if ya know how to use it lol ) i know there is atleast 1-4 certain things that make it sounds good. Im sure its things that you typically do to all tracks, what are yours? such as delay,chorus,compression, you get the idea.

Some of yall got some killer sounds and i wanna do what i can to compliment any song i may upload.right now mine kinda sounds a little to dry.

on another note, there's a cpl different ways to record as well, the 2 i know is 1.just recording the drum part then add to the song then 2. have a aux in to the mixer as another channel and just record both at same time, what do you prefer and why?

any input would be appreciated. Thanks :)
posted on #2
mpointon Supporter
Where do you start? Since joining the loops I've been trying to hone my sound to varying degrees of success but my history of adds here is also a history of me learning how to improve my recordings!

I did a thread about recording drums a while back here: https://www.wikiloops.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=907

Most of it's still relevant but the links to the mix examples don't work any more because the cloud provider I used has ceased operation!

I'll try and comment again later but do not underestimate the importance of mic positioning.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
R_T_71
Membre
well if i could post pics i would, they all seem to be large, any clue how to make the file size smaller without making the pic so small ya cant see it ? lol
posted on #4
GlezBass Supporter
Martin's recordings are impeccable both at the level of execution and technical, the description of how to make the recordings is a whole "bible" of how to make this type of recordings

Although it is a bit of the drums issue, I can leave a video of how you can record an electric bass (or acoustic) with DI box or through microphones + DI box to the audio interface, and how it affects This to the final sound. The choice of analog microphones for the recording would be the best option that Martin elevates to the category of art in his drums
I end up opting for a hybrid technique that is explained in the video, because I can not touch each of the bass through cabinets, which my neighbors are grateful for ...

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4MlUc88fas

In my showcase I explain my last recording technique, and in each one of the tracks that I upload lately

Cheers loopers :)
posted on #5
R_T_71
Membre
i know it can be a long process to get it right, in depth is great, but kinda looking at the usual suspects of it, as far as setting paramaters in general.

Im using a cad7 piece mic set up so all drums are mic'd w/ 2 overheads.i know they aint great mics, but honeslty they seem to do the job just fine, i just dont know enough about this digital recorder, it has tons of options , but all i can do is the basics w/ it right now.
posted on #6
R_T_71
Membre
#108648 my first upload.
posted on #7
R_T_71
Membre
i want my toms to sound like this plz..[youtube]8lRZInB6bis[/youtube]
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Wikiloops is the best way to start recording your music and becoming a better musician. I love this friendly, creative and musical place.
Carpenter from Germany

wikiloops.com utilise des Cookies pour vous apporter la meilleure expérience de navigation.
En apprendre plus sur notre charte des données privées.