Binural Beats?

posted on #1
Pedersen
Membre
So .. As some of you might know, i am abit of a death metal head.
and, i really do enjoy me some extreme music. Sheer sonic violence :D! \m/

But it's no secret that i like other kind of music too, and yesterday i stomped over this idea called "Binural Beats" and i watched a couple videos of people who supposedly know what they're talking about.

And what i got out of it, is that..
The core idea of a binural beat, is to play e.g. 100hz to one ear, and 107hz to the other ear.. The 7hz difference, is then "created" by your brain and that stimulates the brain area that "thinks" in the 7hz range.. i didn't go too in depth.. but thats the general idea.

So then this mad idea hit me, what about Binural Death metal.
If i took Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed face, and recorded that, panned it to the left while my guitar is tuned at a440hz. i then record my right part, as a432hz.. then i'll have an 8Hz difference between the two tracks, and that would.. technically be "binural death metal" am i right?

Now, the madness of this.. is Binual Beat music is usually used to meditate to.
So i figured, what if you took the core of the "most calm" music, and combined it with death metal the "most chaotic/aggressive" music, i can think of.

My idea then expanded abit, i'm also very much into Black metal, Satanic music and what not.. Now, this "genre" is probably going to be very uncomfortable to listen to.. But i think it can work honestly.

Black metal, is pretty much the "Trance" music of the metal scene, or .. atleast, thats how i see it, mainly because of the constant blast beats, with very repetetive chord progressions or tremolo picking.. im sure people can understand my point here, im not trying to say black metal is trance, but there's some strong similarities between the two, to me atleast.

And "official" binural beat music, is also very trance-like, so i figured, how about "Black Binural Beats".. Here, the core idea would be a difference of 666hz.
e.g. having 106 hz in one ear and 772 hz in the other ear, it's a pretty huge difference, and it's probably not going to sound very well, but it's not so much about how it sounds.. it's more about creating unattractive music, extreme music.
Experimenting with what you really love, and something that's from the other side of the world.

Making two very different worlds meet, and see what comes out of it.
Does anyone else find this interresting? i sure as f*ck do.

- Søren. :)
posted on #2
Dick Supporter
from a soundengineers perspective, a shift by 666Hz is not only unlikely to sound any good, it is simply impossible.
You'd end up having to deal with negative frequencies (anything lower than 666Hz - and thats the whole low mids + all bass frequencies for you) would need to be erased (cant have a negative frequency - that would be anti-sound), so, I'm affraid there are some technical things which were not taken into consideration here.
Lowering or raising by 6.66Hz might be the way to go if need be.
One could resemble the negative frequencies by adding a phase reverse instead of a "-", that might indeed lead to unforeseen results, it would require some quite skilled routing on a mixer to perform that.
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
Pedersen
Membre
Fair point, i am in no way near a proffessional musician on any level.
So this was just an idea that hit me, and on the surface it "sounds" like a really, really cool idea to me.

But dang.. :/
posted on #4
nilton
Membre
Tonality is an exponential property opposed to linear. This means that you cannot just detune one channel and get a constant difference since the difference ALSO will be exponential.
lets say you take a tone of A=440Hz and detune it (up or down doesn't matter) to 447hz in order to get a 7Hz beat frequency. The difference between 440 and 447 is 27,32 cents(=1/100'ths of a semitone). If you instead started with the note A# = 466,16Hz (equal temperament assumed) and added 7Hz up to 473,16Hz the difference would be 25,80 cents.
When you detune an instrument you change the frequency by a constant FACTOR(multiplication) not a constant TERM(addition) which is needed to produce a constant (binaural) beat frequency.

The device to change frequency by a constant term is called a "ring modulator" and this is a device that produces VERY inharmonic sounds (unless both terms are hamonically related, but that only works for fixed frequencies)

Sorry to disappoint you, but if you try to break the laws of logic and nature god will hit you on the head with something hard, instantly.
posted on #5
Pedersen
Membre
Dang.. my simple idea of detuning my guitar to a different Hz range just got serious.
- This is way, way deeper than originally thought. complicated and impossible it seems.

Both of you, seem like people who really know your stuff. so i'm just going to take your word for it, and leave it as. =p Thanks for the in depth answers. =p
posted on #6
kimbo
Membre
...i love this shit !:D
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I am an active member on this awesome site since 2011 and i am jamming nearly every day with lots and lots of friends from all around the world ;)
Basster from Germany

wikiloops.com utilise des Cookies pour vous apporter la meilleure expérience de navigation.
En apprendre plus sur notre charte des données privées.