Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Wikiloops Meet, Steinfeld 2016

Wikiloops Meet, Steinfeld 2016

posted on #1
mpointon Supporter
Where do you start?

First is Dick, his fabulous wife Diana and his parents for helping make it happen. Dick's relentless happiness and pragmatism in the face of the stress and organisation required is something to behold. Epic and worthy of so many thanks. His attitude towards the meet is the same as his attitude towards the Wikiloops website: a relentless pursuit of making it the best experience possible. And it was an experience to exceed last year's Urft meet in every way.

He and his family were, as always, the ever-present and ever-smiling hosts for whom nothing was too much trouble. Thank you so much. I drove nearly 400 miles (650km) each way from Cambridge to Steinfeld with a car full of kit for 8+ hours. Worth every second of the dullness of the A16/E40! Especially around Brussels which is like being stuck on the M25 surrounded by people with cars that only have a 'Stop' and 'Go!' button. The Kloster Steinfeld monastery was a fantastic setting with no noise limits! It was basically a bigger Urft.

Then there's the 'Loopers themselves. Many faces familiar from last year; Oli, Tof, Marc, TG, Adu, Kimbo, Monika, Ruth, Nilton, Pit Brett, JMRukkers, Cschlote, Jamlady, Uloisious, Fivestringer - it was as if we'd known each other for years, so fluid was the conversation from the minute we said hello. It all just slotted back into place, as if the jam from last year was just being restarted. Then there's the new faces I met for the first time: Nuno, Wade, Marmotte, Pete-Silence to name a few.

And thank you for speaking such amazing English. My German is almost non-existent and my French comical at best.

And this is the key point: once again I met strangers that I somehow already knew thanks to the collaboration we've shared on the 'Loops. It's genuinely unique to Wikiloops and proof of how music reaches out in ways other media cannot. Like meeting Facebook 'friends of friends' for the first time but you already had a connection you can't get by just having a mutual friend.

But I must mention a couple of people I met for the first time:

Nuno: Not just every bit the hugely talented and unique musician I totally expected to meet but one of the funniest and most intelligent people I've met in a long, long time. Every moment with him was laugh-out-loud funny, his humour and love of life so infectious. And his command of English was second-to-none. We argued over politics, Brexit - you name it. He didn't just make his points but he made them with conviction and with hilarious and cleverly ironic humour. A genuinely extraordinary man.

Wade: I challenge anyone to meet a more pleasant or more reasonable, generous and relaxed man. He put up with nearly 11 hours in the very cramped back seat of my car (3 of them spent trying to circumnavigate the lorry blockade in Calais) surrounded by drumming paraphernalia and never once complained, got angry or even uttered a bad word. Just good humour from beginning to end. And that's ignoring the consummate musicianship and total command of his instrument he displayed in Steinfeld (and on the Loops). It has not only been my pleasure to meet him but also to help him reunite with his wife in the UK before returning to New Zealand. The pleasure was all mine for his impeccable and joyous company.

Marmotte: Anyone who can give me the nickname 'Psycho Potato' gets my vote! Such wonderful, animated and eloquent company. And a voice that made the walls of the monastery cry with emotion. An utter joy!

I could go on and I know I've missed people off. I don't want to bang on for too long! But I must say thank you for the welcome you gave my partner too. Elly isn't an instrumentalist but loves music in all forms but none of you looked down on her or treated her differently and she really appreciated it. At no point did she feel excluded or looked down upon.

Next year... If there's a meet next year, just come along. You will not be disappointed. It's worth every penny or kilometre to play with these guys. I loved it. And I'm missing it already.

Thank you.
posted on #2
kimbo
Membre
..totally agree mr p. worth every minute spent waiting for planes trains and automobiles. :)
now stop writing and get some pictures up!
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
OliVBee Supporter
i fully second what Martin said ! thanks a whole bunch to Richard, Diana (The Wife!) and family for making everything happen ... a most beautiful weekend to remember :)

a very special thank you to Stefan (the wise man) for all the tremendous work !!

i very much enjoyed the meeting and i'm so looking forward to the next edition :D
OliVBee attached the following image:

clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #4
marmotte
Membre
I join my congrats' for the wonderful organisation and welcome from Richard & Diana, it was such a pleasure to share those notes and have crazy conversations in such a beautiful and peaceful place. I put all of that in a little box in my head that I can open whenever I feel sad... personal medecine is the best ! Many of you are into the box !

OliV, you had a great idea taking me there !

mpointon, give a big hug to Crunchy Francesca for me

AND A SPECIAL YOOOOHOOOO for the Wise Man ;)
posted on #5
adu Supporter
The weekend with all there was a wonderful time. SO friendly and great music all around. Conversations and fun, very good meals in the big buildings of history. I´m flashed. Thank you all! :)
posted on #6
bleymehl
Membre
Has been a great pleasure to meet all you wonderful musicians I've been playing with in real life :-) Thanks to all!!
bleymehl attached the following image:

Edited by bleymehl on 7 septembre 2016 à 20:48
posted on #7
nuno1959
Membre
Martin

Thank you so much for i had a total blast meeting you in ''real life'' - as if the Loops aren't VERY real.. - your lovely, fun witty wife Elly & enjoying your company during these few days !!
Sorry i only saw this after posting a thank you post of my own here on the forum or i would've posted it here !

We must stay in touch & can't wait to have you guys over + i PROMISE i will clean up my act when recording templates to make them more useable to others, i THINK i learned a lot during our musical discussions, both with you & so many others..

What a rush & as you say, worth every single km that separates me from the venue & yes, i'm missing it already as well as you all touched me deep inside

Wish you all the very, very best, I still won't be able to come around as often as i usually do but thank goodness tourist season IS ending round here & after that all will resume to normal..

Hugs to you guys !!!

Nuno
posted on #8
kimbo
Membre
Xxx
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
earlsteven
Membre
no more words i can find, it was a peasure full of spirits::::::::::::::
posted on #10
mpointon Supporter
Here's the contents of my phone camera! Can't link them into the thread unfortunately, but have a nose here:

[url=https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3c0iy7tbgk3h6p0/AADtdhhX26q7rg2YF_dMetuIa?dl=0]Wikiloops Steinfeld 2016[/url]
posted on #11
kimbo
Membre
Thanks for sharing martin...oli with jam lady's daughter's guitar.....he should be in kiss! 😃
posted on #12
OliVBee Supporter
cool pics Martin !!
/me steps away whistling "i was made for lovin you baby ..."
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
posted on #13
Dick Supporter
...as most of you will have noticed by now, I shared a load of pictures on the [url=https://www.facebook.com/wikiloops/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1215167555234802]wikiloops facebook page[/url] last night.
A download link with these and some more pictures will go out to the participants in a bit, I got to stop laughing about the videobox project result before I'll get around to that task...
hillarious result, you guys are the right people for such ideas :)
posted on #14
kimbo
Membre
...great pics diana! sorry i can't comment on Facebook (i don't have an account ) but you really have caught the spirit of the people and the event. thanks again all concerned.
posted on #15
mpointon Supporter
They are fantastic pictures, Dick! Look forward to the videos! :)
posted on #16
nuno1959
Membre
OliVBee wrote:
cool pics Martin !!
/me steps away whistling "i was made for lovin you baby ..."

:D:D:D
posted on #17
kimbo
Membre
Got me an account now..
posted on #18
Rickplayer
Membre
Great pics Martin
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
posted on #19
Basster
Membre
Yes - great pictures!! I think you`ll had a great timer there ;)
posted on #20
mpointon Supporter
And thank you to Diana. She put out some wonderful candles in Kilner jars during the evenings in Steinfeld. Elly asked if we could buy some from her for our new garden and she wouldn't let us pay. So here they are in the garden. Thank you.
mpointon attached the following image:

wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I think that Wikiloops is the dream that every musician had ever... to share ideas and projects, even is a form of collective learning, fusion of styles, good atmosphere among friends, always with respect...
ivax from Spain

wikiloops.com utilise des Cookies pour vous apporter la meilleure expérience de navigation.
En apprendre plus sur notre charte des données privées.