Home » Forum » Recording and mixing »
Recording problem

Recording problem

posted on #21
TeeGee Supporter
Gem, I got all the amp simulation plugins in my Cubase DAW, do you think it would be such a difference?? I got all the simulations for amps, cabinets, effects, microphones etc, still does not sound good. I don't think it's Cubase, after all they have a reasonably good reputation, and it's a full working version (not the free one). But I will try to sort out the Amp thing first, and then have a look at the DAW.
posted on #22
GemmyF
Membre
But if you have all those just run a line from your guitar into your Beringher interface ---Think it has a Hi-Z switch per-track and just use the amp-sims you have as plug-ins ---don't use an amp just a 1/4" plug and your amp-sim activated on the track you are recording too ---- when I use my Tonelab(hardly ever now) I just used a free track with no effects and let the Tonelab "be my sound" just like you let your amp be your sound now---- But you should be able to just plug in to the Beringher and have Crankin sounds with out anything in front of it ---- but you can use a wah/effects but you'd probably want to with your button to line in ---- not sure about that though
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #23
wjl Supporter
I think it's just a thing with some dynamic mikes - the Shure SM 7b being a prominent example. That was Prince's mike with which he recorded some tracks, but it needs a lot of gain, so what you normally take for these are kind of pre-preamps.

On Youtube there's that guy "booth junkie" who explains it after the 3 minute mark in his video with a Shure SM 58:

[youtube]VlCIZ60NCfk[/youtube]

And he has another one where he explains the difference between a Fethead and a Fethead Phantom:

[youtube]woHH_I68ZlM[/youtube]

I haven't heard your problem yet, Tee, but if it's like what this guy is talking about (namely, having to turn up your gain level to almost max), these things are most likely a help.

Let's know how this turns out for you. I could lend you my Røde NT-1a and/or my Zoom H5 for tests, provided we're not too far apart (me being in the Frankfurt area).

Hope that helps,
and cheers,
Wolfgang
+2
posted on #24
Fivestringer Supporter

Frequency response?? it only has an on-off switch...

I could try another cable...

If I remember correctly the 310 has no, the 320 has 1 and the 330 has 3 frequency respond switches on the side near the XLR output.
+1
posted on #25
TeeGee Supporter
GemmyF wrote:
But if you have all those just run a line from your guitar into your Beringher interface ---Think it has a Hi-Z switch per-track and just use the amp-sims you have as plug-ins ---don't use an amp just a 1/4" plug and your amp-sim activated on the track you are recording too ---- when I use my Tonelab(hardly ever now) I just used a free track with no effects and let the Tonelab "be my sound" just like you let your amp be your sound now---- But you should be able to just plug in to the Beringher and have Crankin sounds with out anything in front of it ---- but you can use a wah/effects but you'd probably want to with your button to line in ---- not sure about that though

Gem, I tried playing directly into the Behringer, with or without effects, sounds really "dead" when played. Not sure why but it's terrible. With the Tonelab it was ok for a few years, but that deteriorated in sound quality so I ditched it.
posted on #26
TeeGee Supporter
I think I will try a microphone specific for instrument recording, there is a list here from Thoman, any of these jump out as being good enough for my amateur playing? https://www.thomann.de/de/mikrofone_fuer_ampabnahme.html?oa=pra
posted on #27
wjl Supporter
The SM57

(Wikipedia in German: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shure_SM57
and in English: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shure_SM57 )

was *the* classic amp mike when I was younger (and on stages :D ). And looking at your Thomann link I think that not much has changed since then...

But if you have the chance to visit a music store (or a friend who might have one), try it with your interface before you buy.

Hope that helps,
Wolfgang
+2
posted on #28
bvveen Supporter
Microphone positions might have a bigger impact than you think at first. Try also direct from a DI. You can hear the difference between those 2 and make your plan. I record different ways. Sometimes I use the DI from the amp. Sometimes I record using a Sure SM57 and sometimes I plug my direct into my recorder without anything or only with a little compression. Works all fine for me.
+1
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
like it? love it? Pay for it ! thanks Yall !!
HiFiFlutes from United States

wikiloops.com utilise des Cookies pour vous apporter la meilleure expérience de navigation.
En apprendre plus sur notre charte des données privées.