Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Video collaboration project 2018 introduction

Video collaboration project 2018 introduction

posted on #1
Dick Supporter
The wikiloops video collaboration project 2018 starts right here, and as with all things on wikiloops, your participation is very very welcome!

In case you missed our pitch video in my blog, let me embed that here once more:
[youtube]eD-lXzG1Vqs[/youtube]

This post covers:
? What is the general idea of this project, and what will happen with those videos?
? How to join the video collaboration project by joining or forming a team?
? What camera equipment is needed?
? Choice of track - where do we start?
? How to submit the video files?
? Is there a deadline to joining the video collaboration project?
? What about that extra statement moonchild mentioned in the pitch address?

What is the general idea of this project, and what will happen with those videos?

The video project is strictly "for the fun of it", as a little extra to celebrate seven years of wikiloops.
wikiloops has become a meeting place for are a quite diverse bunch of musicians, so, instead of trying to force everybody into a one-song-fits-all collaboration, we would like to show the several different styles present on wikiloops.
The created videos shall feature you and your co-jammers while playing a song "together" (not the Song "Come Together", please, no covers allowed here!) .
The single videos will be merged & edited by a team of cutters lead by Dick, and will be released as single collaboration videos via the wikiloops YouTube channel.
In a second step, we would love to assemble a long version covering all the different sub-teams jams, plus some user statements.
So, it comes down to the following tasks for you:
Team up with some wikiloops folks and record a jam as you'd usually do, plus filming yourself while doing your recording session.
Submitting the video & audio files to the cutting team (more info below).
Enjoy watching the merged & mixed short video of each collaboration team.
Look forward to the "long film" version including the additional content which will be released once all teams are done.

How to join the video collaboration project by joining or forming a team?

You know, we love the anarchy of jumping onto any track on wikiloops, but we would advise a little bit of ahead planning when recording for the video collaboration project.
This will be crucial to make sure all participants do submit video, and to make sure the video contributions add up visually (as demonstrated in the camera equipment info below).
To get going, do as follows:
1st: Check the replies to this thread, and look if someone of the folks you would like to jam with has already stepped forward and offered to take part.
2nd: If you found someone, or a style proposal you would like to be part in, please leave a post stating "I'm in on the [boogie / rap / country] collab with XYZ". If there is no proposal suiting your taste so far, feel free to be the one to propose a group, stating a little bit about which type of track you'd be wanting to do (and which instrument you'd like to play, in case you play several).
3rd: Rally up some people to join your group, and get going by agreeing on somebodys template track. Weather you want to go extra crazy and merge four drummers and three singers, or keep it simple and deliver a trio collaboration is up to you.

What type of camera equipment is needed? Any video recording tips?

Just take the best type of camera at hand, webcams, phones or camcorders... and go for the best possible resolution.
The video must include the raw audio and the count-in-click so it can be easily synced when cutting. The camera sound will be replaced by a good mix, so don't waste time with that.
Your video can benefit a lot if you and your group agree on a few details, like:
Who faces left, and who faces right in their camera position?
You could agree on wearing certain colours or on something else (like "playing at daytime / daylight" vs. "playing in a dimmed studio").
There is a little funky demonstration video Dick made on the occasion, you may check that out here for some inspiration:
https://youtu.be/asD6cAFJfmQ

Choice of track - where do we start?

That is up to you and your group! Tracks shouldn't exceed five minutes total, but besides that, you may come up with a new track OR take an existing track of yours and re-record that with all participants for the video collaboration project.
You know which tracks work well for collaborating, so, instead of spending too much time organizing, you might as well agree on someone who should create a groove & harmony base track and hop on to that... you know how that works :)

How to submit the video files?

Once the groups have at least three participants and a half-ways clear idea on what kind of tune they are going to work on, the group members will receive an invite to a wikiloops private band project. These band sites include a drop-box-like file transfer area to which you may upload the single tracks & video snippets - and they also offer group messaging functions that might come in handy to stay in touch with your collaborators.
We would like to keep the single video tracks private as long as the work is in progress, only the cutters will be able to access these files to create the per-group videos.

Is there a deadline to joining the video collaboration project?

Only a soft one :) We'd love to be able to show the "long film" version at this years member meeting, so any groups that form should be done by august 1st.
Depending on how the whole project takes off, we may establish this type of thing as something that is offered more often, but let's see where this one goes first :)

What about the extra statements moonchild mentioned in the pitch address?

Now, that is a sweet idea! Here are some quick ideas on that:
? Please, do not combine statements and music making into one file, please treat the two tasks separately
? The statement should contain a quick "Hey, I'm [username] from [your country]" introduction at the start, and maybe stating how long you have been part of wikiloops.
After that, you may add any type of statement that reflects on your experience on wikiloops. Share a happy wikiloops moment, what keeps you coming back to wikiloops, what lead you to try online jamming in the first place, or say a few words on how wikiloops is a good fit for your music making needs in your particular location or life situation.
? Please do not offer explicit greetings or messages directed at "wikiloops insiders", but keep in mind people who know nothing about wikiloops will watch that film. (If you'd like to send greetings, do that in a separate video snippet please, we'd love to show you saying hi at the meeting, too :) )
? Feel free to do your statement in your native language, but please do send Dick a translated text for subtitling.
? Feel free to wear your Lederhosen, a Tutu, a Burka, Dino-Cap or a Sombrero to show some cultural diversity, it is up to you :)

Understanding the 4 phases of the video collaboration groups

As there are:
Phase I: Somebody steps forward and says "I'd like to do a [style] collaboration, and will provide a groove or harmony track"
Phase II: One person needs to be found that will provide the first remix, adding the basic harmony, or adding a groove
Phase III Now, once the structure of the collaboration is settled, the groove + harmony template will go public, so anyone else can listen in and decide to join that jam. Anyone who shows interest is added to the private band space.
Phase IV: As the group assembles, we are using the in-band chat to make sure the order of adding more instruments works one-after-another. Parallel remix branches are OK to do (since the harmony & groove are settled), but since we are not in a rush, one might as well wait until the latest other contributors mix has appeared.

I will update below table as the project moves on, so you will be able to keep track of progress and of collaborations you might want to join.

Table of started / open collaborations

Last updated: 03.06.2018

Group LabelPhaseAudio templateInvolved
Worldwide Discofinished!mpointon, Marceys, Alex Sarikov, Tofzegrit, Aleonz
Drumshticks Rocks finished!Drumshticks, axenvocs, major 3rd, mortheol
wiki Bluesfinished!Bothen, frenzie, Alawrence01, slin, Don_T
Wikiloops world / SongoPhase IIIWhitedrum,OliVBee, nadrek,jussuf63, moonchild
Reggae Groupalmost finishedBaer, kimbo, adu, jmrukkers, wjl, Shi & MrSnuts, Pit Brett, Uloisius + special guest
Herring Kingclosed groupfixed band trackHerring K

+15
posted on #2
mpointon Supporter
Awesome idea! Just need to think of something now!
+7
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Cabinet for Electric Guitar
169 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
eGiL Supporter
I want to wear lederhosen!! :O :@ :D
+10
posted on #4
kimbo
Membre
I wanna play!....:D.... who'll have me though?:(...
+5
posted on #5
wjl Supporter
Awesome idea! And to kimbo:

kimbo wrote:
I wanna play!....:D.... who'll have me though?:(...

I'd be happy to join you on some video collab if you wish. Love your guitar playin'! :)

To Richard, Dick, and the (in)famous MrBaer (whom I'd also love to join btw): I don't think we have to face and position ourselves like in your example, tho it's a great idea of course. But have a look at this guy and some of his friends - I think the young man's name is Carlos, and by now he's accepted at Berklee College of Music. The videos he/they make(s) are awesome in my humble opinion:

[youtube]aT8ix3ZNlLM[/youtube]

Wrote about that a while ago on my blog at http://wolfgang.lonien.de/2017/02/insaneintherainmusic/ - just another idea on how to do this perhaps...

LG,
Wolfgang
+3
posted on #6
TeeGee Supporter
eGiL wrote:

The Herring Band is assembling for the video! I am in with you ! ANd you better wear Lederhosen and a Herring hat
+5
posted on #7
wjl Supporter
TeeGee wrote:
eGiL wrote:

The Herring Band is assembling for the video! I am in with you ! ANd you better wear Lederhosen and a Herring hat

Norwegian Lederhosen? Wanna see those as well! :P
+2
posted on #8
mpointon Supporter
I'm going to attempt the first template for this today. It took a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with Dick to work out the best way to get things going, mostly because I was being a bit slow. But it might help clarify what to do for those who want to start a video collaboration.

1) Record and video the template plus do any other chatty bits.
2) Upload the audio as a normal public Loop template but explain it's for the video collaboration project in the text, directing people to this thread if they want to join. Don't attach your video - that's the surprise!
3) Players can then join a private collaboration you (or Dick) creates from there. They will also be able to view your video in order to work out their add.

I think that makes sense!

I think that's the idea of it. I won't be uploading any video until I get to work tomorrow as it'll take out the internet in my house for several hours if I do it at home!
+8
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
axenvocs Supporter
always a ham for the cam, so if anyone is interested hit me up and we'll jam :W
+5
posted on #10
mpointon Supporter
[wl]134361[/wl] is now live. A little bit of disco fun to get the ball rolling. If you want to join the video collaboration, please post your interest here or on the template. Videos won't be uploaded until tomorrow for previewing on the private band as I need my work's bandwidth to do it!

Now I'm off to get the videos organised!
+6
posted on #11
TeeGee Supporter
Gem, this is not the place for showing these videos, there is another thread for that. This one here is very specific...it has to show you and the others playing their instruments to a track.
+2
posted on #12
Baer Supporter
Guys, I'm really happy to see some are nibbling at the idea here, and I'm stopping by to say I'll do my best to provide a blues type of track drum template to the video collab soonish.
So, if you'd like to join the blues gang, let's get that going if you like :)

I do however agree with TeeGee about needing some sort of structure in this thread, or we will be scrolling forever really soon to find where things are at. With your kind permission, we'll move some posts which are not about starting a group or joining one (decidedly) to a separate thread, where the Lederhosen and filming ideas can be continued ;)
No offense intended, but a little structuring really seems a good idea, hope everybody agrees!

Last, @Kimbo: I'd have you on anything that goes into a reggae direction as my lead guitar favorite man... if no other drummer would like to get that going, I might have to get back to that idea...stop worrying.
+4
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Electric Guitar
159 €
posted on #13
jussef63
Membre
I want to participate in jazz, funky, metal I don´t know hahahah I think funk will take the cake, anyway I am open for suggestions
+2
posted on #14
DrStrgeglv
Membre
This is exactly what I was hoping for! Great! WIKIVIDS!
+3
posted on #15
kimbo
Membre
Baer wrote:
Guys, I'm really happy to see some are nibbling at the idea here, and I'm stopping by to say I'll do my best to provide a blues type of track drum template to the video collab soonish.
So, if you'd like to join the blues gang, let's get that going if you like :)

I do however agree with TeeGee about needing some sort of structure in this thread, or we will be scrolling forever really soon to find where things are at. With your kind permission, we'll move some posts which are not about starting a group or joining one (decidedly) to a separate thread, where the Lederhosen and filming ideas can be continued ;)
No offense intended, but a little structuring really seems a good idea, hope everybody agrees!

Last, @Kimbo: I'd have you on anything that goes into a reggae direction as my lead guitar favorite man... if no other drummer would like to get that going, I might have to get back to that idea...stop worrying.

im up for some reggae... or indeed anything. as long as I don't have to wear lederhosen mate :D
+5
posted on #16
wjl Supporter
kimbo wrote:
Baer wrote:

im up for some reggae... or indeed anything. as long as I don't have to wear lederhosen mate :D

Reggae, yeah! If you want me to join in on that, let me know! Sounds fun...

Cheers,
Wolfgang
+3
posted on #17
Marceys Supporter
Cool template Martin!

Gonna try to get something on that with a piano....

Maybe an A, B and C kinda thing.... verse... chorus.. and a little bridge....
have to figure your breaks out first....

cheers...

Marc
+7
posted on #18
mpointon Supporter
Marceys wrote:
Cool template Martin!

Gonna try to get something on that with a piano....

Maybe an A, B and C kinda thing.... verse... chorus.. and a little bridge....
have to figure your breaks out first....

cheers...

Marc

Excellent Marc - Dick will send you an invite to the private band area for this. :)
+2
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
posted on #19
Alex Sarikov
Membre
what to do?))
+1
posted on #20
StJray
Membre
An excellent idea this collaborative project to highlight the 7 years of WikiLoops!
To follow for me,
Ray
+1
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Wikiloops is a great idea, well executed and deserves support - come on guys, support it - you don't expect to get anything good for nothing!
flythorn from England

wikiloops.com utilise des Cookies pour vous apporter la meilleure expérience de navigation.
En apprendre plus sur notre charte des données privées.